HomeDiscovering La TrinitéThe Town's History and Heritage

History and heritage

La Trinité sur Mer has come a long way from its initial status as a small Carnac village during the Middle Ages to the renowned international sailing resort it is today. Carnac’s small port gained independence during the 19th century. Its evolution is constant and ongoing. The ocean has been the determining factor in this process: fishing, shellfish and oyster industries in the past, sailing today.
The town’s rich heritage is comprised of its specific architecture, a 17th century altarpiece, and numerous megaliths.

A Remarkable Heritage

  • The Town
Located on a steep hill, town overlooks the port. The architecture is typical to Breton villages where the 19th century fishermen’s stone wall houses, small but opulent, set on the edges of narrow streets, enhance the town’s authentic personality.

  • The Megaliths

La Trinité sur Mer disposes of an interesting stock of megaliths: eighteen identified monuments, some of which are very well conserved, and of which practically all have been classified as historical monuments.
Amongst these, note should be taken of six remarkable sites:

    • The Petit Ménec which include 101 menhirs set up in 7 rows,
    • The Dolmen with tunnels at Kerdrobihan (Mané Rorh)
    • The Dolmen with tunnels in the village of Kermarquer,
    • The Dolmen on the Butte of Kervilor,
    • The Covered Alley at Mané Roularde,
    • The Kerlescan Alignments.

  • The Parish Church
The first chapel was built in 1682. In 1894, the height of the belfry was increased by more than 10 meters, thus serving as a landmark to sailors. The chapel was enlarged in 1935, thus becoming a true church.

  • The Altarpiece
The altarpiece, installed during the construction of the ancient chapel (1682), is located behind the main altar and represents the Holy Trinity. It was designated a national monument in 1981 and restored in 1995.

  • The Fountains
Built so as to ensure a fresh water supply, each village made at least one fountain available to the public. Fresh water has not been pumped since about 1950 when its distribution was taken over by the water utility service. Nonetheless, these fountains can be considered as proof of time’s passing. To be seen: The Cemetery Fountain, genuine and grandiose.

The Maritime Heritage

  • The Port
From the commercial harbor to the fishing port it was in the past to its status today as an international reference in the sailing world, be it for personal pleasure or competition, this important port of call can accommodate a great number of boats (1 250 water moorings and 200 dry moorings, as well as 324 slots at the Saint Philibert Dry Dock Port). The port provides a complete infrastructure (marina, space on land, maintenance facilities) thus allowing for the organization of major events of which the SPI Ouest France.

The regular presence of mythical sailboats such as IDEC, Sodebo, Gitana and Safran,
international-class regattas and the continued participation of an average of 100 boats
during winter training sessions lead to an obvious conclusion: Trinité sur Mer is without a
doubt the port of reference as regards sailing and water sports.

  • The Kerisper Bridge
The original « Eiffel » category bridge, a single-lane metal cage, was built in 1900 and destroyed by the Germans in August 1944. In 1958 it was replaced by the existing bridge, the span of which is supported by an 86-meter arch.
  • The Kervillen Salt Marshes
Currently undergoing renewal, the Kervillen salt marshes were, as of the 18th century, the largest and most profitable in Trinité sur Mer. Upon harvest, the salt was stocked in salt cellars, one of which still exists today.
  • The Guards’ House or « Ty Guard » (Kerbihan Point)
Its massive chimney, used as a watch tower, was reached by means of an external staircase. For a long time it served the « Gabelous » (salt tax collectors), who watched over the Kervillen salt marshes and signaled shipwrecks along the coast.
  • The Huts
The huts of former oyster fields along the Crach River and the Latz Tide Mill are interesting sites.
  • The Flat Oyster
The town’s privileged location on the west bank of one of the most beautiful rias in southern Brittany, nestled in the bottom end of Quiberon Bay, favored, as of the 18th century, the installation of the first oyster beds in a channel shaped like a large pocket. These circumstances led to La Trinité sur Mer’s title as the “Cradle of the Flat Oyster”.